Saturday, 5 November 2011

Old Market










Separated only by a width of a narrow road (and lets not forget by a huge financial and cultural difference) Cambodians were busy selling food or having beauty treatments - within the same dark medieval building of the Old Market interestingly - while Westerners, me included, sat back and watched from a comfortable bar. The Old Market was a wonderfully atmospheric place and I was so enthralled photographically I didn't notice (too much) the incredible smell. Which is slightly ripe ... 

I took this shot of the girl reading candidly by pre-focusing and placing the camera on the table on time-release. Afterwards I did strike up a conversation with her and her partner and showed her the picture. She happily gave me permission to use it should I want. She and her partner, both from Germany, were delightful.




All these shots were difficult to capture due to the gloomy and difficult conditions, shutter speed was down to 1/30th second even at f2 and 800asa. I could spend days shooting in this place. As it was I only had less than an hour.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful environmental photos Peter you convey the busy nature and smells and what looks like chaos perfectly. What do vegetarians eat there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jan, almost impossible to get a bad picture in such a place! Vegetarians? Never heard of them ...

    ReplyDelete