Thursday, 15 August 2013

Speed Awareness Course

So, I've just finished my four hour re-educational course in order to avoid having three points on my licence. It really wasn't that bad. In fact, I'd go so far as to recommend it to everyone. Not only did I learn stuff, I better appreciate how driving at an inappropriate speed can sometimes lead to such devastating consequences.

If hit by a car, the tiny difference in speed between 30 and 32 mph can often be the difference between survival and death. Slowing down, or just driving at an appropriate speed, just makes things safer. Obvious, but shown so graphically as they do here, disturbingly so. Will I be a safer driver in future? Hopefully. I'll certainly be more observant and will definitely slow down in urban areas where it's clearly the most dangerous to drive.

However, one fact surprised me above all others. I never knew that seven people from the AA & RAC are killed every year assisting cars broken down on the hard shoulder of the motorway. And these are people wearing hi-viz and know all about the dangers. The hard shoulder is one dangerous place to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment